Monday, October 4, 2010

Multi-tasking, Part 2

Last month, I wrote about overextended multi-tasking here.

Today, I woke up with the urge to clean up and organize the Fuckatorium. And now that I think about it, the lingerie has been in piles because I should figure out a better place for it, now that I have more of it. And I got new dresses for my birthday, which are my uniform of choice for the new job as a phone sex operator, but they're not available in quite the right way, so what if I move my luggage from my armoire and put dresses there? Then the luggage should really go into the back closet, but I need to put away a few loads of clean laundry I've been dumping there. Some of those are sheets, and I should really figure out which kinds of sheets we have...

About that time, I thankfully realized what I was doing, and sent my husband a text (he was at the grocery store), "Uh oh. Well-rested enough to have the urge to do 15 organizational projects at once. Wanna help?" Lucky for me, he had a couple of hours to contribute, and we ended up getting a few things done.

One thing done
Writing this blog obviously helped me. I remembered writing about failing at multi-tasking much more vividly than I would have remembered just failing at multi-tasking without writing about it. So I chose to start with the dresses, which now hang in my bedroom, so when I get up with the dogs in the morning to feed them and let them out, I can just easily pull on a dress without going out of sight into the closet (which makes the dogs whine in their crates and then everybody's awake, and much grumpier than we are with no whining).

It seems insane that it has taken me a week to feel fully recovered from the trip/party activities of Sept 16-25, and yet, it seems to have taken that long indeed.

But it also feels like I've arrived at an appropriately autumnal emotional space: nesting, rearranging, organizing. It feels like I've done this job long enough to finally understand how I need to move my stuff to match my life, and that I have the energy to get it done. Well, some of it, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment