Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Data Girl Tries Again

I've written about being a data girl and how annoying it is to find a lack of trends in my call and blog data. And yet, today I answered the question, "What have you been up to Galiana?" with the potentially boner-killing answer of, "Analyzing call data."

I'm thinking of moving my schedule back, less of noon-midnight (which regularly runs until 1 a.m.) and more of 10 a.m. - 10 p.m., to grab a bit more sleep without having to nap, since the dogs usually wake me up around 8 a.m.

So I charted days of the week and time of day of the call. The dots at the bottom of the graph are midnight-3am. The hours go up to 23. I saw more patterns than I was expecting to, actually.
Click to see a bigger version of the graph
When I started, I tried to log in by 10 a.m., but as I progressed, I've trended more towards noon or later to log in, which is obvious by the data.

Once I started taking better care of myself by logging out when I felt tired instead of pushing myself, my call density dropped. That is not surprising, but man, I didn't realize just how many calls in a row took there for a while. No wonder I got worn out!

The time I took away from the phone during my Ten Days Of Craziness in mid-late-September slowed down my momentum. I figured it would, but it's interesting to see it.

Not on the graph: since this graph doesn't show call length, just the hour in which a call started, you can't tell that my average call length has continued to climb. Some of what look like big pauses are actually super-long conversations.

Also, not on the graph: even though I was slower than usual over the Columbus Day weekend, I still stayed on the front page, which lets me know it was just a slower weekend. It happens.

Overall, it looks like 10 a.m.-noon may be an acceptable replacement for 11 p.m.-1 a.m. on some days, but not others. If I logged in from 10 a.m. to 2 a.m. I'd get the most calls, but I'd also burn out and be useless! 

I will probably play around with it and try to balance getting sleep with having fun long late-night calls (many of which have been among my favorites). No changes to the calendar today, just interesting geekdom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment