Monday, August 23, 2010

It's Not The Length Of The Call, It's What You Do With It

It's really not the length of the call. It really is what you do with it.

I've had 7-minute calls bore me, and 7-minute calls where I couldn't wait for them to call back.

I've had long calls (30 minutes or more) where I hoped they liked the sound of my breathing because I couldn't think of anything else to say, and very long calls (60 minutes or more) where I thought of more to discuss the instant the call was over.

(P.S. If you're reading this, you won't be a boring call, because you're interested, which suggests intellectual curiosity, which means you won't be boring. Trust me.)

I described a fantasy today, set in a hot tub, that I haven't ever done or heard about or fantasized about (that I remember). It was my idea, I came up with it on my own, but it felt new to me, inspired by that moment with that guy who I'm getting to know (this was his 4th call - we'll call him "Reluctantly Seduced"). The whole call lasted 15 minutes, but it was ridiculously hot, and deliciously memorable. 

Thankfully, my longest call ever not only fascinated me while I was on it, but it intrigued me for days afterward. It was exactly 3 hours. Yep. 180 minutes. "Damn!" is right. I was wrung out, exhausted, dehydrated, hungry, and had to pee. And utterly thrilled at the intriguing, Inception-like meanderings we had managed to do in each others' psyches for that long. In fact, that was when he got the nickname "Inception Guy".

In both those conversations, what was memorable was the creative connection. Two people were exploring spaces that turned them on, and found places that they both contributed to, which neither of them could have created on their own. Fantasies were co-authored.

I have a customer list called "Faves" and whenever I have a call like that, a co-authoring call, I add the person. There are people on my "Faves" list who have spent hundreds of minutes with me, down to just a few. Dunno what I'm gonna do with the list, but it's fun to look over it now and then and remember the stories we created together.

No comments:

Post a Comment