Thursday, January 19, 2012

Meds and Trains and My Missing Superpower

When I was a manager, I encouraged people to find their "superpower". As an example, I said mine was "English translator of English" -- I have an unusual ability to help technical people understand the business side of things, and vice versa.

Apparently, my Missing Superpower is: Keeping People Informed Of My Calendar. I told about five people I was traveling. Everyone else was confused and ignored. I'm really sorry. In my defense, I was using all my energy trying not to be terrified of traveling. It sort of worked (not really).

I just got back from Chicago. I went there for a long-overdue checkup with my dizzy doctor to discuss my horse tranquilizers. He told me about a new habituation treatment that involves a rotating chair and synchronized visual input, so even those with the most severe motion sickness can tolerate treatments in the chair, and apparently after five sessions of just an hour each, 100% of the people in the study had full recovery to allow them to travel without illness!

So while I wait for him to build a hurl-a-whirl chair (as my sister called it... heh), I'll stay on my ridiculously low doses of barbiturates and continue to make incremental improvement, and then wipe out my improvements by over-extending myself socially, or by traveling, which wipes me out, but I love seeing people and changing scenery, so I'll keep doing it!

Speaking of traveling, the car ride up to Chicago was as difficult as expected, but the pleasant surprise was how well I tolerated the elevated train to get to and from downtown -- better than a car! I felt like I could predict the motion of the train (both acceleration and deceleration, but also side-to-side) more accurately than expected.

Then the big success was getting home via train, which was over 2.5 hours of constant motion. Oh, sure, I looked like a zombie shuffling off the train, my voice was flat, my speech was slurred, I was confused, and my muscles were weak, but I still felt like I could direct my body in case of an emergency. That opens up a new realm of possibilities for me, because I can theoretically get all the way to Houston on my own if I gave myself enough recouping time between the train to Chicago, the elevated train to O'Hare, and the plane to Houston. Exciting!

Summary: Sorry I forgot to tell you I'd be traveling. My doctor's visit was fine. If you have brain-drunk-vertigo, Trains > Cars > Planes (FYI: as far as I know, I am the only person in the world who has brain-drunk vertigo, so this information has extremely limited usefulness).

No comments:

Post a Comment